Upcoming Course Dates:
November 6-7, 2018 (2 days) | Calgary, Alberta | Early Bird Price: $1,440 CAD | Register
This course will provide attendees with an overview of the considerations, key factors, industry guidelines and practices, examples, and field experience related to the design and integrity of thermal recovery wells.
The objective of this course is to review the:
- Thermal well design process, industry regulations and recommended practices (IRPs);
- Key material properties and damage mechanisms of casing and liner tubular steels, wellbore cements, and formations;
- Casing and liner design approach and basis (materials, connections);
- Options and field experience for sand control, artificial lift, downhole flow control, and wellheads;
- Impacts of operational practices (e.g. heating ramp-up rates);
- Well integrity management programs;
- Well inspection methods, well damage and ‘failure’ statistics, and well damage mitigation and repair options and field experience;
While the material presented in the course has relatively broad applicability, the focus is generally on topics associated with the recovery methods of Steam Assisted Gravity Drainage (SAGD) and Cyclic Steam Stimulation (CSS), and course content is largely resented from a Western Canadian perspective.
Duration: 2 Days
Who Should Attend:
This course has been developed for anyone who is looking for an overview of thermal well design and integrity, with a focus on Western Canadian applications, thermal recovery methods, current industry practices and guidelines, and field experience. This may include:
- Those new to thermal well design and integrity, either recent graduates or those with conventional well design experience; and
- Those working in other areas of thermal recovery projects such as reservoir, drilling or production engineers and thermal project development personnel.
You Will Learn:
At the end of the course, students will gain an improved understanding and appreciation for:
- Current industry guidelines and recommended practices related to thermal well design and integrity;
- Key factors and considerations involved in the design, construction, operation and integrity management of thermal wells;
- How various aspects of a thermal recovery project impact and influence thermal well design and integrity; and
- Field experience, challenges, areas of advancement, and current industry initiatives and areas of research.
Visit our main training page for our current course schedule.